Wednesday, April 04, 2007

A Pasta-free Trip to Italy?


Well it's been ages since I've written anything and I have to apologize, my darlings. I hope you weren't terribly lonesome while I was off gallivanting and having fun?
Okay, I wasn't really: I was sick and stressed out and tired of feeling awful, but I figured out that I have a wheat intolerance and it was only a matter of eliminating it from my diet and VOILA! I feel much better. Of course, there was an adjustment period where all I ate was rice (and protein drinks). I was pretty cranky (not just because I wasn't getting enough nutrients, but also because I felt like the entire world of food I could have had just shrunk). I've always been a person who's derived such pleasure out of eating: sampling foods and sharing meals and laughing and socializing have all revolved around food for me. In addition, I love to cook and bake and that's one of the ways I show my love for the people around me. I can certainly still do all that, only now, I can't eat a majority of what I love preparing. On the upside: I'll be really healthy if I stick to my regimented diet (rice, protein, veggies, all fruits except blackberries, strawberries, melons, and oranges). Luckily, enough people are wheat intolerant that there are options in the stores for pasta made from rice flour.
Cooking mixes too, although nothing I've tasted thus far (with the exception of Van's WheatFree Waffles) are palatable.
If anyone knows of any kickass recipes for cinnamon rolls or cookies made with rice flour (or PIZZA DOUGH: I tried to make wheat-free pizza last night and... the toppings were really good. Yup. That's about all I'll say about that) please send them my way!

On a whole other note: I'm going to Italy! I can't wait, particularly since I started learning the language last year, with no trip in sight. People would ask me if I was going to go to Italy, and I'd reply "Of course I am. I just don't know when..." Well, the plane and hotels are all booked now and I couldn't be more ecstatic. We're flying into Milan on June 27th and staying the night there. In the morning we'll head to Cinque Terre for a nice relaxing 4 night stay in Vernazza. I'm particularly excited about this because we'll be able to relax on la spiaggia and swim in the Mediterranean and eat PESTO! Mmmm. Ligurian pesto (where the blend originated) is the best I've ever had. I still don't know if I'll be able to eat the pesto on the region's specialty pasta, trofie (it looks like little pale worms on the plate with mushed up grass from the bright green of the pesto). Mmm. There's a possibility that the wheat over there won't bother me because it's not genetically modified, but we shall see. If not, then I'll eat pesto on greenbeans, another specialty there!

While in CT, we'll take a day trip by train to Pisa (gotta see that crazy leaning tower!) and then head on to Florence. I am SO excited about this part. It's the birthplace of the Renaissance... which means art... I'm gonna go see The David's chiseled derrier! While in florence, we are also going to take a bike tour of the tuscan hills overlooking the city. Should be a blast! Then we head over to Venice, which I've heard people either LOVE or are totally indifferent to. There seems to be no middle ground (but I DO think it's interesting that the people who love the city tend to go with a romantic partner whereas the others have gone with a tour of strangers or a group of friends). Since I'll be there with my BF, I'm sure I'll love it. Plus...have you ever seen the movie Dangerous Beauty? Sigh.

After Venice, where we are going to take a cooking class and a daytrip to hike in the Dolomites, we head to Verona for 3 days to see the opera. Check this link out for the location of the Opera. Eccellente, no?

Then, a quick one night stay back in Milan before we fly out on July 14th. I am SO excited. If you know of anyplace I simply MUST go, please let me know. I'm always open to restaurant suggestions too!

It's been fun trying to practice my Italian as I email the owners of beds and breakfasts and make reservations... I have gotten really good at asking for a room for two with a shower and toilet...

3 comments:

Fruit Nut said...

Wow kyra! That sounds so amazing. I would love a photo of that most famous of buttockes (have a telephoto by chance) only kidding but your photos should be amazing, I would love to see them and hear every detail when you get back!! (obviously) I am so excited for you!!! Also, do you know if you can have spelt flour?? That is what I eat , and you can basically substitute it for any recipe (I have made particularly sucessful baguette and pizza dough) It is apparently only a relaitive of wheat and is much older. It is available as noodles and crackers and such as well. I have a cookbook that I will recomend as well I belive it is called "The Best Gluten Free Cookbook" Or something like that. I will look next time I am home . . .it is orange and available at your local B&N. It gives options for just wheat-free or gluten free for most of the recipes. It uses a combination of strango flours which seems to work best rather than say just rice flour. As you know, I have the same afliction, I also love to bake for my loved ones and I have many recipes that I can eat as well!! If there is something inparticualar you want ask, or I shall send you some when I am home next and can grab the book.

Fruit Nut said...

Oh yes, Love you!!!!!

Anonymous said...

'bout time you posted again...
Gluten-free pantry chocolate truffle brownie mix...

Love you,
z