Monday, November 27, 2006

The Holiday Party Season Commences

There is something about snowfall that brings out the kid in me. I love how the sky turns a violety color at night, with the clouds reflecting back the city lights. I love the peace and quiet that the blanket of white brings with it. It's almost as if time iteslf slows down to accomodate for the icy roads and chilly air. I love it!

I hope the snow sticks, although I know that 36 degrees is far too warm for that to happen. Maybe the temperature will drop drastically tonight and we'll continue to see the little flakes floating gently down. I don't know why it excites me so, but that it does. Mmmm!

This weekend I celebrated not only Thanksgiving but Christmas as well (at least, the first of many. I fully subscribe to the Twelve Days of Christmas feeling!) On Thursday we went to Jake's for dinner and I was able to successfully avoid the traditional meal of which I am not so fond. Bring on the french onion soup and caesar salad! On Friday, Cheryl and I decided to do the thing, you know, where you get up at 5 am and hit the stores for good deals. I bought a ton of Christmas presents (I only need 3 more). We refueled with high-fat fried food at Red Robin and then saw Happy Feet (which was adorable) and did some MORE shopping. Around 9 pm, I headed home to make all the pies for the next day's family Christmas, which we celebrated a month early this year since my cousin is shipping out with the Navy next week. I feel like I need another 4 day weekend to recover from this one.

This season both energizes and calms me. I love the twinkling lights glittering through the snow (when there IS snow). I love the smell of pine trees and apple cider and gingerbread cookies. I love baking and entertaining friends and dressing up, but in the cold weather, I am also more likely to want to go to sleep early and drink hot cocoa at home instead of traipsing around to party after party.

I've been listening to Christmas music non stop since Thursday. Do you think I'll tire of it before the day actually GETS here?

No comments: